The Throat Chakra - How To Unblock It To Communicate Effectively
Get up to speed with the chakras that precede the throat chakra. Check out our chakra series starting from the root chakra, the sacral chakra, the solar plexus chakra, and the heart chakra
What is the Throat Chakra?
The Throat Chakra is the fifth chakra, located in the center of your neck around your throat. Also known as Vishuddha, this chakra manages how you communicate, express, and project yourself to the world. When the Throat Chakra is balanced, you are able to communicate clearly but a misalignment in this energy center leads to feelings of insecurity, shyness, or self-doubt. You may also find it difficult to express your needs, wants, and creativity.
The throat chakra has been mentioned in many ancient texts, including the Vedas and the Upanishads. In these texts, it is said that the throat chakra is responsible for communication and self-expression. It is also said to be a source of spiritual power and is often represented as a blue wheel with 16 spokes. The 16 spokes represent the 16 petals of the lotus flower, which is a symbol of purity and enlightenment.
What are the symptoms of a blocked Throat Chakra?
A blocked throat chakra affects the throat, ear and mouth area and shows up in physical symptoms like:
- Thyroid issues
- Ear and mouth infections
- Neck stiffness
- Jaw pain
- Sore or raspy throat
- Gum and mouth diseases
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
There are many emotional signs that suggest a blockage in your Throat Chakra. These signs include:
- Taking a stand for yourself
- Feeling like you can't express yourself
- Hard time setting boundaries
- Difficulty communicating your personal truth
- Shyness or social anxiety
- Lack of confidence or trouble speaking up
- Trouble expressing your creativity
How to unblock the Throat Chakra?
Here are a few things you can do to unblock your throat chakra:
- Chant the ‘Ham’ bija mantra: Every chakra has its own bija mantra, which are one-syllable vibratory sounds that balance a chakra. Chanting ‘Ham’ – the bija mantra for the Throat chakra activates and heals it.
- Essential Oils: Peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and lemon oil can be used to heal the Throat chakra
- Herbs: slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root, ginger root, echinacea, and cinnamon bark can soothe a sore throat
- Stay hydrated: Drinks like tea, honey, or lemon water keep your throat lubricated and comfort your Throat chakra
- Massage: Massaging or stretching your neck and shoulders can help release tension and stress buildup that may be blocking your throat chakra.
- Yoga: Yoga poses like Camel pose, Lion pose, Fish and Plow open up the chest and throat area. This helps in better energy flow and opens up the Throat chakra
- Meditate: Meditation can help to quiet the mind and allow for a deeper connection to the Throat chakra. This deeper connection can help access your true desires and needs.
Healing Crystals To Balance the Throat Chakra
Each crystal or stone has its own unique properties that promote healing within the chakras. Since blue is the throat chakra’s color, these blue crystals and stones channel their energies to open the Throat chakra:
- Blue Lace Agate – Lessens feelings of anger and hurt and helps you access your highest truth
- Sodalite – Boosts your creativity and energy
- Lapis Lazuli – Promotes mental clarity, eloquence, and self-awareness
- Amazonite – Eases anxiety and facilitates honest communication
- Turquoise – Helps with the articulate expression of your thoughts
- Celestite – Brings you closer to your personal truth and fosters peace and calmness
To use these crystal or stone for healing, place it on your throat or wear it as jewelry throughout the day. You can also hold it while meditating or repeating affirmations.
Affirmations for Healing the Throat Chakra
Another way to balance your Throat Chakra is through affirmations. Affirmations are positive statements you keep saying to yourself to reprogram your subconscious mind. With frequent repetition of affirmations, the positive ideas are embedded in your subconscious. This eventually changes how you see and feel about yourself.
To chant your Throat Chakra affirmations, start with the following steps. Sit in a meditative pose with your eyes closed. Take a deep breath in and exhale. In this relaxed state, visualize a streak of blue light emanating from your throat and filling your entire body. Simultaneously, repeat the following affirmations that’ll help open your throat chakra:
The throat chakra is a vital energy center that governs communication and self-expression. When it becomes blocked due to past experiences, trauma, or familial conditioning, you will shy away from expressing yourself clearly or authentically. Healing your throat chakra powers your voice, boosts creativity, and makes you feel calm and confident. By trying the techniques to balance your throat Chakra every day, you will soon start seeing positive changes in your life. And if you want to go deeper into chakra healing and be a certified crystal and chakra healer, this course is worth checking out!